> fluorescent lamps
> thermostats
> thermometers
> pressure & other gauges
> tilt switches
> flame sensors & temperature probes
> button cell batteries
> local hazardous waste collection events
> mercury spill cleanup instructions
 

Proper Disposal of Mercury-Containing Products

Mercury is a nerve toxin and is considered a hazardous waste. When products containing mercury are placed in the trash, the mercury doesn't disappear, it finds its way into the environment. That's why mercury-containing products cannot be disposed of with regular trash or poured down the drain. Mercury products and compounds must be recycled or managed as a hazardous waste. Households have a low to no-cost method to properly handle mercury products at the end of their useful life. Towns and solid waste districts hold hazardous waste collection events every year. Households and small businesses can contact their local municipality or solid waste district for more information and collection event scheduling.

Follow the links below for more information on each of the mercury-containing products listed including how to dispose of them properly.

If you have a mercury spill, see the mercury spill guidance for small mercury spills developed in coordination with the Vermont Department of Health. For information on broken compact fluorescent light bulbs, see the Fact Sheet developed in coordination with the Vermont Department of Health and Efficiency Vermont. For large mercury spills, contact the (24 hour) Spills Hotline at (800) 641-5005.

 

Mercury Education & Reduction Campaign    103 South Main Street    Waterbury, VT 05671    802-241-3455
MERC is a program of the Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation


Vermont Agencies & Depts.  |  Access Government 24/7  |  About Vermont.Gov  |  Privacy Policy  |  Ask a ?
A Vermont Government Website Copyright © 2003 State of Vermont - All rights reserved

{CounterRegion}